Gallery

Monday 7 March 2016

Six times pink


It's time for 6 on 6 again (and yes, it's already 7, sorry about that) and this time I've dug through my screenshot collection for pink pictures. Although pink is not a colour I roll with a lot on my characters, it was easier than expected. This edition is surprisingly Lord of the Rings Online heavy, which may have something to do with me having picked up that game once more.

Six times pink


1) Elf on horseback at the bank of the river Gilrain

LOTRO: Lord of the Rings Online knows various places with flowering pink blossom. The Elf starter region, Falathlorn, is a well-known one. This picture was taken in a high-level area, though: the river Gilrain near Linhir in Gondor, which I found enchanting. Walking here felt like moving through a painting. I visited this place for the first time on the last day before the server merges made me transfer my characters to Laurelin. My home server (since 2007) was called Gilrain, so I thought it fitting to reflect on all my adventures in the game at this place. You can read more in this post: Goodbye Gilrain



2) Sylvari mesmer waving her sparkling scepter

Guild Wars 2: When I started playing Guild Wars 2, I was torn between mesmer and elementalist for my main character, Ravanel. When I saw the mesmer's animations, though, it became clear that she should become an elementalist. While I love the class design of the mesmer (fitting a strange niche that reminded me of LOTRO's lore-master) with all its illusions, the sparkling scepter with pink butterfly animations made Ravanel look silly. And thus my Sylvari Gaïende was brought to life. She is basically a turquoise with pink fairy frisking about, which makes her both the girliest and the cutest character I've ever played!



3) Pink sky above Edoras

LOTRO: Travelling to Edoras in Rohan and finding the kings' graves overgrown with simbelmynë was a huge Middle-earth fangirl moment for me. Here Conrad and I were still on our way - you can see the great hall of Edoras from afar. You can read more about it in this blog post: The beauty of simbelmynë.



4) Honeyberry catching some rays

SWTOR: I don't usually go with pink for my characters, but Honeyberry was willing to dye her blonde hair and dress up for this special occasion. I imagine a lot of giggling on her part was involved while posing as a photo model. Don't let the looks deceive you: following good Star Wars tradition, Honeyberry and her partner Sugarberry earn their money as bounty hunter twins, and they're no cuties...



5) Ravarun in Grimbeorn's Valley

LOTRO: Once upon a time, I gave in and created a Beorning called Ravarun. The starter area, Grimbeorn's Valley, is overgrown with beautiful wild plants, such as these pink flowers. I was very impressed with how the game developers had followed Tolkien's book The Hobbit so well. You can literally find references from the book in the game environment!



6) Young twi'lek padawan

SWTOR: For the traditional colour-of-the-month alien, I present to you this young twi'lek padawan, determined to fight evil. Imperial players may recognize her from the Black Talon flashpoint, where she defends an Imperial general that has switched sides. I always feel bad about having to kill her, as  her naivety and passion for the Republic is endearing.



*) Bonus: Pink dodo

ARK Survival: Because I'm one day late (making this a 7 on 7), and because I can't resist editing this in, here's a pink dodo! Dodos were my favourite animals when I was a toddler - I know, this is kind of sad, them being extinct and all - my father even painted one for me on the lid of the sandbox in our garden. The sandbox doesn't exist anymore, alas, but I do still have a dodo cushion reminding me of it. And now, in the dino survival game ARK Survival, also a flock of tamed dodos! Delilah (the pink beauty depicted above) is my favourite.

"6 on 6" is a series of 6 screenshots on the 6th of each month, themed on colour: August: blue - September: purple - October: orange - November: gold - December: red - January: white - February: black - March: pink - April: silver - May: green - June: brown - July: yellow. The event is hosted by Emma of the Scruffy-Little Nerd Herder.

9 comments :

  1. Great screenshots, as always! :)
    Now that I think of it, it's true that there are lots of places in LOTRO with a pink dominance. I would add to those you mentionned ice caves in Forochel at some times during the day, amazing view as well.
    You will be happy to know that I used to have a SWTOR character looking EXACTLY like Honeyberry. Heck, I used to have similar nicknames: Honeybunny (which I still use in LOTRO) and Bunnyberry. Funny how we mixed those ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honeybunny & Bunnyberry, and similarly looking too... no way! :D That's so awesome, I'm still smiling. All I can say is: great minds... ;)

      And I *love* the Forochel skies. They make me want to visit northern Scandinavia in the winter, something that's on my bucket list.

      Delete
  2. That dodo is freakin adorable! And I'm always so blown away by the scenery in your LOTRO screenies. Such a gorgeous game! I had to flip on over to your 'Gamer Girl' post after seeing Honeyberry, and I had so much fun reading it! I get so much grief on WoW from people who think I get free things and help leveling just because I'm a girl. Oddly enough, I manage to out-DPS them all😏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe there's still people in WoW that actually believe that... damn. That said, the Wow population is reportedly relatively toxic and immature - I'm sure you know more about this, since you do actually play it!

      In my experience, the people who brag the most about their abilities and/or grief female players are usually the worst. The truly good players I've met are happy if their numbers are being challenged by other players - their gender is perceived as irrelevant. Go out-DPS 'em, girl! :D

      Delete
  3. The dodo is adorable! :)

    Great shots, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You can tame any dino you can think of in that game, but the dodos are just brilliant. They make the cutest noises, too. :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely shots! Love the one of Ravarun in Grimbeorn's Valley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was so sad to have to leave (Beornings only spend the first few levels there)! Supposedly you're able to get a skill to return later on, though, so that's something I'm looking forward to.

      Delete
  5. You always have such creative ideas for these! It comes time for them and I sit there for hours with a block on "what on earth am I into that's this color?". I might have to take a page from your book! :)

    ReplyDelete

You can insert links, images and videos to your comment using these tricks.